Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Grandpa, Ole Buddy and Me





Time moved much slower back then
Me and grandpa made sure of that
There was always plenty of time for a nap
When summer turned up the thermostat

The leaves rustling in the warm breeze
Laying in the shade of that old oak tree
We spent many a warm summer afternoon
Resting up for the next fishing spree

Chomping at the bits we could hardly wait
To dig those worms and grab that pole
The best memories were surely made
Sitting on the bank of that old fishing hole

Grandpa would use his old hat for a fan
All the while, telling his stories and tales
He taught me a lot about life in general
While fishing and walking down those pig trails

Awe, our ole dog Buddy, I’ll never forget
Every now and then he’d breakaway
On most days, he wore himself plum out
Oh how he loved to run and play

Running through those thickets and brairs
He’d chase those rabbits all day long
Then he’d come and lay down beside us
Those rabbits knew how to string him along

So many things to do and places to be
And we never missed an opportunity
To explore the world and lay in the shade
Grandpa, Ole Buddy and me

© Susie Swanson 2016

I found this photo on the Web and this is what I came up with. 
Hope ya'll have a nice week!!

6 comments:

  1. Your grandpa sounds wonderful, Susie. An interesting and relaxed fellow, and always around telling you stories. :) I think that's the best kind of grandpa.

    love, ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susie, I sure wish I had had a grandfather to remember like this. I do not recall any grandparents while growing up. I loved reading about your grandfather. Hope you are doing well and that the rain helped cool things there. It is heaven here in central Indiana now. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds very familiar to me. I can still remember walking around his farm with my grandfather. Wonderful, happy times! Thanks for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful poem and a lovely tribute to both grand children and grandfathers alike. I was not lucky enough to see either of my grandfathers, but both of my grandmas were very loving and fun. I have missed reading your poems. Work and driving is taking a lot of my time away from my hobbies. I will try and make time to read. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susie, I love this poem. It brings back many happy memories of the good old days that I miss. Sure wish things were more simple and slower paced now. Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great poem, Susie, and it goes perfectly with that photo. I hope you have a nice holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete