Sunday, August 30, 2020

Only One Shoe



                                                  Two old shoes sit in the corner
                                                   one worn the other brand new
                                                   tells the story of an old fellow
                                                   one of the finest I ever knew

                                                   Two legs are better than one
                                                   with one leg he made do
                                                   he really learned how to get by
                                                   needing only the one shoe

                                                   He was an inspiration to all
                                                   as he hobbled on through
                                                   despite the pain and anguish
                                                   gray skies were always blue

                                                   For him, nothing ever came easy
                                                   his struggles were more than a few
                                                   he was a very special uncle
                                                   with a different kind of view

                                                   Having fun was his trademark
                                                   plenty of joking came easy too
                                                   especially come Christmas Time
                                                   the presents he already knew

                                                  Driving a car was his dream
                                                  just like he used to do
                                                  if it wasn't for one shoe
                                                  his dream would've come true

                                                 He tried to teach me to drive
                                                 in a big, open field we flew
                                                 one cow in the whole field
                                                 I almost ran over it too

                                                So many treasured yesterdays
                                                in his mind on them he drew
                                                the strength and determination
                                                to face what he entered into

                                                He never did have riches
                                                of worldly things that grew
                                                his heart contained the wealth
                                                a giant measure of his virtue

                                               He gave flowers to the living
                                               fresh as the morning dew
                                               no time was like the present
                                               from his flower garden hue
                 
                                               Then one day he gladly bid
                                                a fond farewell and ado
                                                instead of wearing one shoe
                                                today he's wearing two

© Susie Swanson, 2020

My one and only Uncle on my dad's side and two of my brothers. He's been gone since 1975 and we still miss him so bad.

 

11 comments:

  1. Treasure in heaven, Susie! Loved reading about your uncle. Haven't we been blessed to have so many wonderful people in our families!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susie, Oh I am so happy to read this. I must have missed the update on the 7th...for I do not remember reading it. I just read this poem to my Teddy. He loved it. Your uncle is dancing in heaven. I hope you start to feel better. I wish there was something I could helpy ou with. I am praying for you everyday. I hope it helps, like your prayers have held me up. Blessings to you and all your loved ones. xoxo,love, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very nice poem about your Uncle, Susie. Life must have been hard for him only having one leg to walk on. I can just see you learning how to drive in that open field and almost running over the cow haha. You have treasured memories of him, Susie. Hold onto them. I have been thinking of my dear Mom lately too. September always reminds me of her. I'm so glad you're back with us in blog land, Susie. : )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ps.....I always love the pictures you choose to go along with your stories. This one is delightful.

      Delete
  4. Susie, it's so good to hear from you again and have you share another of your wonderful poems. Are you feeling better?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my, Susie, what a heart-warming poem. It was so sweet and reminded me on my own precious uncle. Such a wonderful tribute to such a great man!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just stopping at your blog. I hope you are doing well and enjoying this beautiful fall. The colors are so brilliant this year here in the mountains. Stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've not heard from you for awhile, Susie. I sure hope and pray you are doing well. I miss your wonderful postings of your lovely poetry about the good old days. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susie,
    I hope you are well and had a Merry Christmas. I miss your posting your lovely poetry on your blog.
    I wish you a very happy New Year and happy Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Susie,
    I hope you are doing well. I miss your postings and hope you will be able to share your lovely work with us soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have your book, echoes of time, and I love it. I miss your postings and you have been on my mind a lot and I would like to know that you are all right. You are always in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete