Monday, December 10, 2018

Long Ago Christmas



I dream of those Christmas's so long ago
When things were simpler and time was more slow

Searching the woods for that special little tree
A few homemade decorations, so beautiful to me

Strings of holly berries and popcorn so adorned
Wrapped in tin foil, a shiny star was born

Listening to mama read the Bible, how it begin
Gathered under that old roof where love was a kin

Rushing off to bed, oh the thoughts we did weave
With visions of that first Christmas and Christmas Eve

And those old, ragged socks laid out with care
Under that little tree with plenty of room to spare

Waking up Christmas morning, oh what a thrill
That apple, orange and stick candy sure fit the bill

Those long ago Christmas's was worth it all
More large than anything this world has so small

I can hear it now, welcome home come on in
Oh heart of mine go back where you have been

 © Susie Swanson, 2018

I haven't posted in quite a while due to ongoing health issues and dealing with this horrendous disease called Addison's. I'll try to be back as soon as possible and till then I wish you all a very Merry Christmas filled with good health, joy, love and Many Blessings.  God Bless, Susie

7 comments:

  1. Such a sweet poem, Susie. Your Christmas was much like my own. I think I miss those days more than anything else about Christmas.

    I'm so sorry you still aren't feeling well. We'll keep asking God for healing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have missed your posts, Susie. This poem is delightful. I will be praying for you and hope to hear from you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely Christmas poem full of beautiful memories, Susie. I wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dream of those long ago Christmas' too, Susie. I do remember all that you mentioned here... the star for the tree made out of foil, the popcorn adorning the tree, the thrill it was to wake up Christmas morning as a kid, and oh, those oranges and apples and hard candy in our stocking. I still put an orange in my children's stocking, and they put one in mine. Loved your wonderful story today, Susie. I hope you feel better, dear friend.

    love, ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I missed the end of your post that you're still dealing with your illness. I'm so sorry, Susie. I will say a prayer today for you. : )

      ~Sheri

      Delete
  5. Susie, I loved reading this and in my heart is a similar story of my family's youth. It does us good to go back in our memories to those sparse days. I recall one year someone gave each of us kids a mesh stocking full of candy. Our very own stocking. :) I always associate the smell of oranges with Christmas. Blessings to you my sweet friend. Hoping we all can have a Christmas of family's love. Blessings to you and yours, you are in my daily prayers. Love you, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susie, I didn't send the red and white planted roses in a pot. It sounds like a wonderful gift, and now I'm curious too.
    Let me know if you ever find out. I can see how you thought of me when receiving red roses. : )

    love ya, Susie.

    ReplyDelete