Tuesday, July 10, 2018

If You Pass Me By



                                Perhaps you'd call it plain
                                this simple house I live
                                nothing fancy to the eye
                                with plenty of love to give

                                I'm sure you wouldn't notice
                                the memories tucked inside
                                of so many happy years
                                with my family by myside

                                You might not notice the flowers
                                 in my yard nestled away
                                 or the pretty, little birds singing
                                 that cheerfully make my day

                                 Oh if you could only see
                                 the squirrels I call my own
                                 frolicking around at play
                                 outside my simple home

                                 The enchantment of a sunset
                                 each evening comes to call
                                 end of day's perfect show
                                 you may never see at all

                                 Perhaps you'd see me plain
                                 with simple clothes and worn
                                 overlook my grateful heart
                                 for the simple things I adorn

                                 If things are hard to find
                                 much like where you have been
                                 beauty lies within the heart
                                 close your eyes and look again

                                 My simple life of treasures
                                 is more than gold can buy
                                 you'll never know paradise
                                 if you pass me by                                                                                                                    

                                 © Susie Swanson, 2018

12 comments:

  1. Your poem blessed me today, Susie. Thank you for sharing your heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen and your post was surely an inspiration to me.

      Delete
  2. Hi, Susie. Lovely picture and poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janet, nice to see you and thank you so much.

      Delete
  3. Susie, the longer I live - the more I know the simple things are the best. I see so many people with more than heart could wish, yet they're not happy. It's good to have a grateful heart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Elaine and I've always felt like you. God gives us our needs and for me it's the simple things.

      Delete
  4. Susie, I love the picture of the little house and I love the poem. To me there's nothing prettier than an old worn house with flowerbeds out front. It shows someone inside loves that little house. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susie. I love old houses as well and have always wondered what stories they could tell. And I'm curious about who planted those flowers too. Blessings to you.

      Delete
  5. Susie, I was raised in a little house that didn't look this good. But it was home and God's presence was there along with hard working parents. Mama couldn't have pretty flowers because there was no fence around the yard to keep the cows away and the hens roamed everywhere too. I do remember she planted some flowers in the garden though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your memories sound so much like mine. Mama had plenty of chickens but she sure did love her flowers as well. Thank you.

      Delete
  6. This is such a sweet, heartfelt poem, Susie. The simple life really is the best one. I really enjoyed this post.

    ReplyDelete