Monday, April 2, 2018

The Country Side





                                   The Roses of time
                                   bloom around me today
                                  The honeysuckle is prime
                                   in its sweet,fragrant way

                                  The wild rhododendron
                                   is putting on a show
                                   Soon the ivy will come
                                   the rhododendron will go
                         
                                   He loves me, he loves me not
                                   the daisies are here
                                   Black-eyed Susie's hit the spot
                                   and make my heart cheer

                                   Blackberries are on track
                                   plenty of blooms in sight
                                   The whipper wills are back
                                   I here them every night

                                   The turtle doves are soothing
                                   to my heart there's no end
                                   The red cardinals are singing
                                   and being selfish again

                                   I've been watching the creek
                                   for wild ducks to swim
                                   Today I took a peek
                                   I saw a woodpecker on a limb

                                   My garden is green
                                   a summer's bounty will be
                                   Tall sunflowers in between
                                   the birds are waiting patiently

                                   Each day I look around
                                   there's so much to see
                                   I'm waiting for lightning bugs to abound
                                   it's a treasure to me

                                   Oh the beautiful country side
                                    so much living I've sown
                                    To live else where I've tried
                                    but there's no place like home

                                        © Susie Swanson, 2018

This post is kinda deceiving since spring is having to fight it out with old man winter. Of course, I don't have to tell a lot of you all since you're still in winter. These are some of my grandma's roses she planted along the roadsides many years ago. She's been gone 58 years back in February. I'm waiting patiently to see them again this year. Hope everyone had a Blessed Easter. ~Susie~

5 comments:

  1. Susie, I love your poem and your grandmother's roses. I wish I had some right here in my yard. :):) Susie there was 4 inches of snow this very morning when I woke up and now it is all gone. Never in my life have I ever seen so much snow melt so quickly. I am amazed. Blessings to you dear friend, xoxo,love Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your spring poem! We are closer to warm weather than we were! Thunderstorms here. Never a dull weather forecast in the Ohio Valley lol Hope you have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet spring poem, Susie. It is nearly here. We do have a few daffodils in bloom now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The countryside sounds wonderful, Susie. I just took a ride to the country recently, and you're right, there's nothing like it. I have been seeing many doves in nature lately too. Their Coo sound always tells me they're near. How special that your grandmother's Roses are still going strong. Thank you for your precious poems, Susie. I love them.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete