Friday, October 12, 2012

The Little Worker



                                              The hardest little worker I ever did see
                                               is in my front yard and works harder than me

                                               I've watched it for a week climb up and down the tree
                                               he's making a good home for his family

                                               Poor little fellow, he's cute as can be
                                               he sure has intrigued my curiosity
                                               he's carrying everything in sight so patiently

                                               Whoops, what's that big thing I did see
                                               he's stolen from my clothesline, it appears to me

                                               Oh well, one thing's for certain with a guarantee
                                               when winter gets here he'll be in better shape than me

                                                              Susie Swanson, 2012


The squirrels have plenty to eat this year with so many Walnuts, Acorns and such. My daddy always said when there's plenty of Acorns it will be a bad winter.. If this is the case I dread it... A few years ago we had to have eleven poplar trees cut in our front yard..They were all lined up in a row and tall as the sky it seemed.. They were beside the highway that goes up by our house..There was just a few feet between them and the road. If they had fell towards our house they would have split it down the middle. We'd had some bad winds to come through and it became quite scary. We knew we had to get them down and with the Electric lines running in a straight line up the road supplying the whole neighborhood , We called the Electric Co. and they came and looked at them and said they'd have to get in with the D.O.T. to help clean up the debris and control traffic. The day they came, I went.. I said adious and took off with my sister to town. When we got back, they had them cut and the Electric Co. was gone and the D.O.T. was cleaning up the road.. They had to climb them and cut them from the top and come down with them.. We had a rather large Walnut tree that stood in among them but it wasn't exactly in the front yard. For years we'd had trouble keeping the walnuts out of the road and cars running over them all the time. Even at night when we went to bed, all we could hear was snap, crackle, pop.. Well, I looked around and the walnut tree was gone to. I asked my hubby and he said he told them to get it too.. Needless to say, I was upset for a split second and worried about what me and the squirrels would do.. He told me there was plenty of Walnut trees over the country and the neighbors would be willing to share.. And they have, if the squirrels don't get them first..
They've not went hungry, that's for sure. With all the Dogwood trees in the back yard, all they do is sit and hull out the berries and make a mess on the back door steps..




This is not one of mine but it could be.. They are fine as snuff and not nearly as dusty.. Blessings, Susie
                                                      

                                                     
                                                    

                                                     
                                                     
                                                     

                                                   
                                                     

                                                    
                                                    

                                                               


                   

20 comments:

  1. We have cut down many many trees, both ourselves, and professionlly, in our 19 yrs. here.
    One year I thought I would have to tie myself to an ash tree in protest when my husband set his sights on it! What is it with guys and trees?

    I pray whenever the wind gets strong here, as we still have several that should be taken down.
    The neighbors (seasonal folks) across the street had one of their trees fall over the road monday morning...since it was not too big around, and broke into three sections, I moved it off myself before anyone ran into it...Buddy helped by dragging a piece of it up to our front door!

    I've never seen such a fat squirrel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet that's been a task. Men don't know when to stop..I thought he was gonna leave the wlanut tree but oh no.. I can't say I miss it so bad though.. I hope those trees don't fall..

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is something so sad about a tree being cut down even though it is necessary. We have an acorn tree in the front yard I am tempted to tell Charlie it needs to go...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how you feel Susie..They can get quite dangerous if they're close enough to the house..Thank you.

      Delete
  4. That is one well fed squirrel they drive our dogs crazy but I never see acorns in our yard most the trees are pines or fruit. GREAT poem Susie have a blessed weekend ;] ~ Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have any acorns in our yard either.. Thank you so much for the visit.

      Delete
  5. The squirrel is fat and ready for winter. I have a huge oak tree in my front yard and at any given time I can see several squirrels out there burying the acorns. They are much more plentiful this year than last.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, They surely are..We have several oaks upon the hill above our house and they are full of acorns.. The squirrels have plenty this year..Thanks Beth.

      Delete
  6. I miss all the trees at our old house. The birds and squirrels were fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a big old squirrel. He will need lots of nuts for winter. LOL
    We have plenty of squirrels running around here. There was a family of 4 little ones who have now grown, in our hickory tree.
    smiles, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  8. The squirrels here are really busy this time of year. We have a lot of the black ones and the grey ones here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet they are Daisy.. We don't have any black ones..

      Delete
  9. I love your poem, and the squirrels are so cute! Sorry about the loss of your trees. My husband is threatening to do that with our pine trees for the same reason. The squirrels are quite resourceful and always seem to manage!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Susie,
    I love your poem and photos of the squirrels. They sure are cute critters, but make a mess with the walnuts. It's good you got those huge poplar trees cut. They could have done a lot of damage if a windstorm blew them down.
    I love the look of your blog. It's really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brenda. Thye make a mess with the dogwood berries too. Glad you like the look.

      Delete
  11. That is one fat squirrel too! What did it steal from your clothesline? a pin?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Susie! This post is so adorable. We didn't have squirrels where I grew up in Los Angeles. I was so happy to find them here in Georgia. I never get tired of watching their playful antics. They mostly stay in the front of the property and I love to sit on the porch and watch them. Rarely do they every come in the fenced in area in the back. I think they have seen Barkley and don't want to mess with him. :) Have a wonderful evening ahead! Love Delisa :)

    ReplyDelete