Sunday, September 23, 2012

Frost On The Pumpkins




What a beautiful Fall day we've had here in our little neck of the woods.. The wind has blown cool and crisp with the skies clear and blue.. We're in a Frost Advisory tonight, according to the local weathermen...The wind has now layed and as my mama used to say, "There will be Frost  on the pumpkins."

Now Daddy was a different story, he was a genuine, down to earth Weather Forecaster.. I do believe these modern day forecasters could've took some lessons from him..He had his own way and his way seemed to work out fine when it came to the weather..Here's a few of his Weather Forecasts that I remember so well.

When there's a red Sunset, it means there'll be bad weather in three days.
When the cattle are grazing at night there will be bad weather. When they're grazing in the daytime, it's going to be pretty weather.
If it clouds up over a frost, bad weather is on its way..
 In the summer when a bad storm came up, he could tell which direction it was going. Such as, "That one is following the River", etc.
When a Turtle Dove ( also known as Rain Owl ), coos in the daytime, Rain is on it's way.

These are just a few of his Weather Forecasts, there will be more to come later..
I guess he just had a knack for Weather Forecasting.. How about you all? Do you have any Forecasts you could share? Gotta go get my Houseplants in,  Frost is on its way..Sure wish Daddy was here, he would know for sure..He'd either wear his overcoat in  the house or Not.. If he had it on, I'd be grabbing those house plants in a hurry.. You all take care and watch out for Frost.. October's on its way..Blessings, Susie





10 comments:

  1. They are predicting frost for us here too. I don't remember my Dad having any sayings about weather, but my grandmother had some of them. She used to follow the Farmer's Almanac too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured ya'll would be getting frost to.. My dad and mom used the Almanac as well.. I think most of the old people used it.. I use it myself..

      Delete
  2. Hi Susie, Sweet memories you have shared. My sis lives in Indiana and they are expecting frost tonight.
    Thank you for your kindness and friendship through blogging. Have a blessed week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I've enjoyed your friendship as well.. I bet they did get frost up there..

      Delete
  3. I'm not ready for frost! but I know it isn't far away. The persimmons are turning, the hay equipment is put to rest, and the sun is shining into the south windows more everyday.

    I've heard a lot of those weather perdictions over the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet it's on the way for you too if the persimmons are turning.. That's a good sign.

      Delete
  4. Have not heard this about the red sunset before ... hmmmm! Crisp cool misty morn here, autumn is nipping.
    Have a great week ~
    TTFN ~
    Hugs,
    Marydon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I bet it is where you live..hugs to you. hope you have a nice week as well.

      Delete
  5. Hi Susie, I am singing along..."You raise me up."
    I think reading the weather is a gift. And obviously one your daddy had. I am not too good at it. BUT, if our kookaburra's laugh around lunch time it means there will be a weather change next day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved your daddy's "forecasts", Susie!

    ReplyDelete