Wednesday, September 5, 2012

My Favorite Season



Well the unofficial  end of summer has come and gone, that being Labor Day..The days are getting more short and the weatherman says here in our little neck of the woods we will be feeling some cool, crisp Fall like weather by the weekend.. I can see the signs already. No there's none quite like the Picture above but it'll  soon be that the mountains will parade a beautiful color display , all part of God's Beautiful Handiwork..

I love Fall, it's my favorite season af all.. Some have said they don't like it because it brings forth winter.. Winter is awfully pretty, it's all in the eyes of the beholder.. Fall brings back alot of memories for me thought. Almost forty two years ago come October I married my best friend... We went together all of fives dates and got married shortly after.. He was in the army, stationed at Fort Bragg, N.C. That's where we made our first home for almost two years.. I was eighteen years old and he was twenty two.. He'd been overseas and alot of other places and I'd never been anywhere outside of my hometown..Oh yes, I got Homesick but I wouldn't let him see just how bad I really felt. This was back when few people had telephones and my family didn't have one at the time.. His mother and dad had one and we'd call on a pay phone every Sunday evening and she'd relay the messages to my folks or the news . Writing letters was the thing back then.. I put one in the Mailbox to mama and daddy just about every other day.. Mama didn't have much of a hand for writing.(that's what she called it). But that didn't stop her from writing.. I still have all of those letters today along with the ones I wrote to my sweety before we were married.. My most precious one is the one where he asked me to marry him.. I keep them in an old shoe box, tucked away in my closet.. Oh the memories those old letters hold.. I get them out every now and then, especially this time of year and read them. We've both sit and read them to one another before.. I have some that he wrote his mama and daddy before we were married.,when he was in Vietnam and Germany and all of those places..

So you can see why Fall is such a wonderful, cherished time for me..I could go on and on, I've wrote so many poems about Fall in one way or the other it ain't funny.. I'll leave the rest of my memories for later and planned on posting some pictures of my summer flowers but I figured this one is a bit windy and I'll stop where I'm at and go check to see if my sweet, little niece has had her baby yet. (My Great Nephew). She's in labor as we speak.. I call her little because soaking wet it pushes her to weigh one hundred when she's not pregnant.. Her first one was born two years ago on my birthday. Needless to say she's waiting to see her little brother..See how windy I am when I get started, Can't you just visualize how long those letters were that I wrote and my sweet mama wrote..Take care and God Bless.. Susie

19 comments:

  1. I miss letters, real letters. Email and messaging are fast and convenient, but not the same thing at all. Thank you for sharing your sweet memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you..I miss them too.. Everything has got fancfied as my mama used to say..

      Delete
  2. Letters, sadly a thing of the past. I am so glad you saved the ones you did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's nothing quite like a hand-written letter. I have some saved letters in a box too. Sweet memories and nice post, Susie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Daisy, they make the best memories in the world..Something to look back upon and remember a simpler time.

      Delete
  4. Most of us have good memories of autumn, Susie, but not all of us have as good a reason as you. Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Long winded, or not, I really enjoyed reading this; in fact, I always love to find a new post from you.

    I remember my sister getting letters from her beau who was a Marine; I tried my best to sneek a peek at those letters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwh, thank you so much.. I'm glad you enjoy my memories.. I enjoy your posts tremendously..

      Delete
  6. I really enjoy your recollections. They're very moving.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I certainly understand your love of Autumn. YOu are very fortunate to have these precious letters to re-read. I adore your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hiya Susie, lovely to share all you sweet memories.. And to keep all those letters.. I have only kept some. You are into autumn and all the pretty leaves. I miss that. Yet when all the leaves fall it is sad to see the bare trees. We are into spring now, a time I love also. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya to you Crystal, I can't seem to comprehend that you're spring when I'm Fall..I bet it's so pretty..I love spring too..

      Delete
  9. Susie,
    You have precious memories. It's no wonder fall is your favorite season. I enjoyed very much reading about your courting. I also love you fall photo. Wonderful posting. I love fall, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Susie! Autumn is my most favorite time of the year too. What wonderful memories of your husband and being a newlywed. It must have been so hard for you to start a new life away from home for the first time. I know that your mama must have cherished all the letters you wrote her more than anything. Have a good weekend ahead! I am looking forward to hearing more of your memories and I hope that your neice has an easy time with her delivery! With Love, Delisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do so miss the personal touch of the REAL letters! My oldest daughter and I just exchanged hand-written letters a couple of months ago. It was an awesome remembrance and feeling! As for fall, my favorite time of year!

    ReplyDelete