Saturday, September 8, 2012

Life's Changes



This may have been me at some time in my life. I had so many hair styles or hair do's as my mom used to call them..There were so many ways to roll hair, I found that out from my mom.



I don't think, ( I'm not positive ) that she ever rolled my hair with strips of Rags... But she just about used everything else.




Yeah I know this one looks like it's been through the wringers. She must have kept it outside of a frame for so long it kinda looks frazzled around the edges..This was my second grade picture.. She made sure she would remember it..She wrote it on the picture.. She had rolled my hair with strips of a Brown Paper Bag.. She did quite a good job with what she had to work with..




I think she was to busy to fool with it much with this one..Looks kinda stringy to me.. Of course with so many little ones hanging to her skirt tails it' no wonder .. There it is again, she wrote what grade it was. I think she just about forgot what grade and scribbled through it some before she made up her mind.




By the time I got to this age which I think was about fourth grade, she'd started cutting my hair and as you can see the bangs were quite short.. They always turned out that way but what could I do but wear them until they grew out a little.. She loved cutting it in a Boys Bob, as it was called  back then..




This was eighth grade and I had kind of took over the job pretty well by then.. Notice the Boys Bob.. At least the bangs looked a little longer.




This was ninth grade, still a bit frazzled around the edges from all the Boys Bobs but I was quite proud of it, you can tell by the way I stuck my mouth and chin out..




There's alot of difference in these two. The first one which is quite obvious was taken several years ago.. The bottom one is from a year or so back .. Yep, age will do it to you.. One things for sure.. I've come along ways from that little curly or stringy haired girl with her hair being rolled with strips from an old Paper Bag, (or not ) and those small and BIG Rollers and maybe some  Bobby Pins thrown in along the way or Electric Rollers to a modern day Curling Iron.. Gosh I wonder how mama would have felt to have a Curling Iron.. Probably been ok with it on my hair but as far back as I can remember she rolled her hair with Bobby Pins or in later years small Rollers. I sure do miss those days and mama rolling my hair.....Blessings, Susie

20 comments:

  1. Oh Susie! What a sweet little girl! Age does make us look somewhat different, but there's still those expressions and smiles which make us who we are. I still have the same smile, it's just bordered by a few sags and bags. Thanks for the treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your very welcome and thanks for the comments..I'm not usually one to post pics of myself but I couldn't resist this one..

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed your sweet pictures, Susie. Mama rolled her hair and two of the neighbor ladies hair with pin curls. I can still picture her opening the bobby pin with her teeth!!! Sweet memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much..Those Bobby Pins sure did do the trick..

      Delete
  3. Susie, your pictures look a lot like some of my school pictures. Mama rolled our hair with bobby pins, and her hair, too. I've never heard of using a brown paper bag. She sure did a good job of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you , she did the best she could with what she had..It's a wonder she even had time. Glad you can relate..

      Delete
  4. So many memories in photographs. They are a visual diary that bring back feelings and words we thought we had forgotten. I always enjoy your walks through your memories...they cause me to walk through mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you Susie.. I love yours to, they are a treasure to read.

      Delete
  5. I love this, capturing You across time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing these pics Susie. I have some similar photos of myself. What wonderful memories!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now Susie, there you are wearing those bangs:):) And you look just fine in them. Gosh, I have let myself go...I am wearing ponytails...heck I wore those in school. I used to get perms and have my hair cut , at least 2 times a year...now I just keep cutting some off myself. I even let Ted Bear cut my hair last fall. I must have been desparate.LOL Hope you had a nice weekend. Smiles to you, Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol.. I love ponytails..Wore them quite often too..I wish mine was long enough for one, especially in the hot summer's heat..Hope your weekend was nice also..

      Delete
  8. Susie, I enjoyed seeing these old pictures. I remember my mom rolling her hair on pink plastic curlers. She did mine and my sisters too. Fun post! Have a good week ahead! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Daisy..Hope you have a nice week too.

      Delete
  9. Ha ha, I remember those days! Still using a curling iron, but mostly to try to get the wave out now, funny how styles change! Love your old pictures:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was so sweet, Susie! I LOVED seeing you as a little girl and then growing up...
    My mom never rolled my hair but she would comb it out for me when I was little because it was very long. Sometimes I still wish I could feel her soft hands combing through my hair....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Susie, this brought back so many memories! I remember my mom using old nylons instead of rags!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Susie! I love this post and all your childhood pictures, you still are so cute! My mother used to roll my hair too. I was pretty good about sleeping in curlers and didn't complain too much. I had real long hair until I was about 12, then I would get it cut short every couple years or so. I never could use a curling iron, because my hair is too thick. I remember always wanting my Mom to fix my hair because Dad would get in a hurry and pull it up into a super tight pony tail. Those pony tails made my head hurt for days afterwards! Have a wonderful evening ahead and thanks for sharing all those great school pictures! Love, Delisa :)

    ReplyDelete