Tuesday, April 11, 2017

The Country Side





                                                   The roses of time
                                                    bloom around me today
                                                    the honeysuckle is prime
                                                    in its sweet, fragrant way

                                                    The wild rhododendron
                                                     is putting on a show
                                                     soon the ivy will come
                                                     the rhododendron will go

                                                     He loves me, he loves me not
                                                     the daisies are here
                                                     black-eyed Susie's hit the spot
                                                     and make my heart cheer

                                                     Blackberries are on track
                                                     plenty of blooms in sight
                                                     the whipporwills are back
                                                     I hear them every night

                                                     The turtle doves are soothing
                                                      to my heart there's no end
                                                      the red cardinals are singing
                                                      and being selfish again

                                                      I've been watching the creek
                                                      for wild ducks to swim
                                                      today I took a peek
                                                      I saw a woodpecker on a limb

                                                      My garden is green
                                                      a summer's bounty will be
                                                      tall sunflowers in between
                                                      the birds are waiting patiently

                                                      Each day I look around
                                                      there's so much to see
                                                      Soon the lightning bugs will abound
                                                      they're a treasure to me

                                                      Oh the beautiful country side
                                                       so much living I've done
                                                       to live elsewhere I've tried
                                                       there's no place like home

                                                          © Susie Swanson, 2017

7 comments:

  1. Susie, I always love your poetry. You just make me smile, thinking of the things that spring brings to us each year. I hope you are enjoying many of these things. I am loving the flowering trees and all the green I see now. Blessings, xoxo,love you, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Susie, those sights and sounds are so precious. Thank you for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy that your garden is green. May your life be full of beautiful flowers, both real and metaphorical. May you be blessed with beautiful thoughts like the poems you write. Amein.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a lovely poem, Susie. I hope you have a nice Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful, wonderful springtime pictures here in your words, Susie! I hope you can enjoy all around you this Easter. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susie, the turtle doves have such a peaceful song. They are one of my favorite birds, and I often hear them at the trail. How lucky you were to have lived in the country growing up. I bet you had wonderful times.

    Happy Easter to you, dear friend.

    love, ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  7. This made me smile! My mom's family were raised on a farm, and I still go when I have a chance. :)

    ReplyDelete