Friday, May 27, 2016

A Warrior




I have fought a hundred battles
In my mind I’ve seen it all
I have raised my gun against the enemy
And seen my comrades die and fall

I have carried the armor of courage
Always wanting to do my part
On land, sea, jungles and deserts
It will always lay heavy on my heart

For my brothers and sisters that have fallen
I will always remember them well
So much sacrifice, they gave their all
In that place we all called hell

Inside, the battles are still raging
In my mind I still see and hear
Mortals, shells and the enemy
In my sleep they still appear

Yet each day I try to carry on
Although I have cried many tears
If I had to do it over again
I would shed my coat of fears

And walk straight into battle
With my head held mighty high
For the freedom I fight hard for
 I am willing to lie down and die

I will always be a Warrior
Even after I am dead and gone
Please do not forsake me
Fly old Glory proud and strong

© Susie Swanson 2016

My Heartfelt Gratitude goes out to each and everyone.
May God Bless you all!!

Here's wishing you all a nice Memorial Day Weekend. 

9 comments:

  1. Susie, I love your poem for our service people. Those still here and those that are gone. Blessings to you, I hope you are doing much better. I think of you often. xoxo,love you, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susie you just did it again, brought tears to the eyes of this old veteran. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for this special poem you have written for us. May God bless and keep you in His love, grace, and care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God bless them every one! I pray especially for the families left behind of the ones who have given their life for our country.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very, very wonderful words, Susie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susie I posted your poem on my facebook page , with your name , did I do wrong , please let me know ,I
    ll apologize and remove .

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read this when you put it on FB--but I just HAD to read it again today... SO PERFECT... Thanks for sharing.

    Happy Memorial Day. Let's never forget those men and women who served and gave so much for our FREEDOM.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. ok sorry i did not ask first don't be mad at me

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful patriotic poem for Memorial Day, Susie! I hope you had a nice holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Susie, what a wonderful poem. You did a great job as always writing this and capturing the holiday.

    ReplyDelete