Saturday, April 23, 2016

Is It Time Yet?





Is it time yet mama, can I go barefoot? That was the number one question come spring. We’d see the dogwoods in bloom or the redbud trees and always commence to pull our shoes off. The older people always said wait till the first of May or you’ll catch ye death of cold. I know for a fact my daddy never pulled his long johns off till the first of May. He still wore his long sleeve shirts till mama made him change to short sleeves. He always said he was afraid he’d take cold. It didn’t matter if it got ninety degrees in the shade and in his older years he had such bad circulation that we might see him put his overcoat on in the middle of the summer.

As for going barefoot, when the shoes came off they stayed off all summer long till school started. When we hit the door in the evening, off came the shoes. We’d toughened our feet so and stumped our toes off so bad it was hard to put on a pair of shoes and wear em all day. We walked the paved road so much going to the store or getting milk from the neighbors that we stumped our toes till there was nothing left but a stub.

It wasn’t that we didn’t appreciate a new pair of shoes when school started we just couldn’t stand wearing em and it hurt our stumped toes and calloused feet. We knew we had to make them shoes last as long as possible cause there was no money to run back and forth to the store buying a new pair. The boys were more rough on their shoes than me and my one and only sister which happened to be a lot younger than me was the biggest tomboy to ever come along. She wore out as many pairs as the boys and had her head stuck in something all the time.

We run through the thickets and brairs till our feet were tough as a pine knot. Those mud holes just about did us in. We’d bust every one of those suckers dry and that toe itch was a killer. Mama would say, “don’t complain to me, ye know what did it.” That never stopped us none cause those mud holes were hard to resist.

I never see or hear of a young’un anymore going barefoot and it’s a shame. I even admit in my older years my feet are so tender I can’t stand to walk on the ground to save my life. I walk around barefoot in the house all day long but I gotta have an old pair of flip flops on when I go outside.


I sure do miss those days of going barefoot even if we wore our feet out and the joys of running through those big, grassy fields will last a life time.  And every spring I still hear those words, is it time yet mama, can I pull my shoes off ?

                                            © Susie Swanson, 2016

5 comments:

  1. Susie, I love to go barefoot in the house too. And I do remember going barefoot when I was little and playing in the neighborhood. What a cute story about your childhood and you and your sister and brothers running through the grassy fields all summer long, and then when school started you got a new pair of shoes. Wasn't that fun getting a new dress and a new pair of shoes for the first week of school? Oh, those were simply the best days. :)

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Susie, you made me smile. We lived outside all summer with no shoes, too. Running through the cool grass in the mornings when the dew was just drying, catching lightning bugs at night, so many wonderful memories! Thank you for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your posting, Susie. My siblings and I always looked forward to spring so we could go barefooted, too. Daddy said he and his siblings were not allowed to go barefooted until the jonquils bloomed. This wonderful story brings back many childhood memories. I always enjoy reading your stories and poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post, Susie. I used to go barefoot sometimes in the summer when I was much younger, but I almost never do anymore because my feet get too cold even in the warmer months. I enjoyed reading your memories. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susie, We all went barefoot till school started again. Stubbed toes, cuts, plenty of bee stings. Dirty black bottom by bed time and mommy telling all of us , we better not think of going to bed with those nasty dirty feet., LOL.... Blessings to you. Hope you are feeling great. xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete