Tuesday, January 25, 2011

My Vietnam Veteran

I see him standing there
So very large and tall
My Vietnam veteran
Beside the Vietnam Wall

A wall so very long
With names placed upon
An astonishing sight to see
Just trying to be strong

I slowly shed a tear
As I gaze upon his face
And for all the heroes there
Placed with dignity and grace

War carried them away
To that faraway land
War returned their names
Only memories left to stand

Being one of the honorable few
His tears are shed inside
For all of his fallen comrades
That fought so hard and died

The scars of war's wounds
He secretly locks away
And together hand and hand
We walk another day

Susie Swanson

3 comments:

  1. How can one really lock away those scars?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susie,
    This is a very touching poem. My brother was in the Vietnam War. It has left many scars on veterans and their families.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To my loving husband, my inspiration..with love.

    ReplyDelete